Each workday for the next two weeks Charlotte49ers.com will profile a different Conference USA school as a way to introduce our new league opponents starting in 2013-14.
Location: Denton, Texas
Nickname: Mean Green
Colors: Green and White
President: V. Lane Rawlins
Athletics Director: Rick Villarreal
Facebook: Mean Green Sports
Conference History: This will be North Texas’ first year competing in Conference USA. Previously, been a member of the Sun Belt Conference since 2000.
Proper References: North Texas, UNT
Athletic Highlights: UNT won a slew of conference championships in 2012 including men’s golf, women’s tennis, women’s outdoor track & field and women’s soccer. From 2006-2010, the men’s basketball program won two conference titles and advanced to the NCAA Tournament. Men’s golf has won four national championships (1949-1952), 28 conference championships and made 30 NCAA appearances.
Noteworthy Highlights: UNT created the first and only PH.D in art education in the country and has the only accredited professional journalism master’s program in the state of Texas. UNT has built 12 new athletic facilities since 2003 including the $78 million Apogee stadium.
- PAT BOONE - Singer; actor; entertainer
- THOMAS HADEN CHURCH - Actor
- BOB DOROUGH - Jazz musician, composer and music director of Schoolhouse Rock
- MICHAEL FAIRCLOTH - Fashion designer; designer to First Lady Laura Bush
- PHYLLIS GEORGE - Miss America 1971; broadcaster with NFL Today; entrepreneur
- "MEAN" JOE GREENE - NFL Hall of Fame; DL for the five-time Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers in the 1970s
- DON HENLEY - Grammy-winning singer and musician; member of The Eagles and solo artist; environmental activist
- NORAH JONES - Grammy winning vocalist
- TOM "BONES" MALONE - Trombonist; member of the original Saturday Night Live band; currently serves as the principal arranger and trombonist for the Late Show with David Letterman
- KERRY GAMMILL - Cartoonist; created Superman, Indiana Jones and ROM comic strips
- LARRY MCMURTRY - Writer; Pulitzer Prize winner; shared the Golden Globe for Best Screenplay and an Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay of Brokeback Mountain.
- BILL MOYERS - Television journalist; former chief correspondent for CBS Reports and senior news analyst for CBS News; former press secretary for President Lyndon Baines Johnson
- DR. PHIL MCGRAW - Self-help expert
- SAM MOON - Owner of Sam Moon Trading Company
- ROY ORBISON - Singer and guitarist
- BRIAN WATERS - 2009 Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year and six-time Pro Bowler
- PETER WELLER - Actor; starred in Robocop and Buckaroo Bonzai
Sponsored Sports (16):
Men (6) - Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Indoor & Outdoor Track & Field
Women (10) – Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Swimming & Diving, Tennis, Indoor & Outdoor Track & Field, Volleyball