Each workday for the next three weeks Charlotte49ers.com will profile a different Conference USA school as a way to introduce our new league opponents starting in 2013-14.
Location: Ruston, La.
Nickname: Bulldogs and Lady Techsters
Colors: Blue and Red
President: Dr. Les Guice
Athletics Director: TBA
Athletics Website: www.latechsports.com
Facebook: LA TECH Athletics
Conference History: First year in C-USA. It was a member of the Western Athletic Conference since 2001.
Proper References: LA Tech, TECH
Athletic Highlights: Women’s indoor & outdoor track & field have combined to win 15 conference championships in the last 14 years. Women’s basketball has won three national championships (1981, 1982, 1988), competed in 13 Final Fours, 23 Sweet 16s and made 27 NCAA appearances. Women’s basketball also has a .825 winning percentage, the best of all NCAA teams.
Noteworthy Accomplishments: Ranked in the Top 25 best Return on Investment schools in the country.
- LEON BARMORE - Five-time Hall of Famer (women’s basketball)
- TERRY BRADSHAW - NFL Hall of Fame Quarterback, FOXSports television personality
- KIX BROOKS - American country music artist, half of the duo Brooks & Dunn
- P.J. BROWN - Three-time NBA All-Defensive team honoree
- TIM FLOYD - UTEP head coach and former NBA head coach
- CHERYL FORD - 2003 WNBA Rookie of the Year
- KARL MALONE - Two-time NBA Most Valuable Player and 14-time NBA All-Star
- MIKE MCCALLISTER - CEO and Chairman of the Board, Humana Corp
- WILLIE ROAF - Pro Football Hall of Fame (2012); Eight-time NFL Pro Bowl offensive tackle
- TERESA WEATHERSPOON - Five-time WNBA All-Star; Olympic Gold Medalist
- CHARLES WYLY - CEO of Michaels Corp
- SAM WYLY - Founder of Bonanza Restaurants with Charles Wyle
Men (7) - Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Indoor & Outdoor Track & Field
Women (9) - Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Indoor & Outdoor Track & Field, Volleyball