Each workday for the next three weeks Charlotte49ers.com will profile a different Conference USA school as a way to introduce our new league opponents starting in 2013-14.
Location: Huntington, W.Va.
Nickname: Thundering Herd
Colors: Green and White
President: Dr. Stephen Kopp
Athletics Director: Mike Hamrick
Athletics Website: www.herdzone.com
Facebook: Marshall University Athletics
Conference History: Has been a member of C- USA since 2005.
Proper References: Marshall, MAR
Athletic Highlights: Marshall Football has won two Division I-AA National Championships (1992, 1996) along with 12 conference championships. In 2005, volleyball won C-USA regular season and tournament titles as well as a 2007 regular season title.
Noteworthy Accomplishments: The Vision Campaign has boasted a $30 million dollar athletics renovation, as well as the opening of a School of Physical Therapy, a renovation of the School of Pharmacy, the Erickson Alumni & Foundation Center and the Recreation Center. In 2009, Marshall’s Forensic Science graduate program was ranked No. 1 in the country.
- BILLY CRYSTAL - Actor, comedian
- VERNA K. GIBSON - First woman to lead a Fortune 500 company (Limited Stores)
- HAL GREER - One of the 50 greatest players in NBA history, member of the Hall of Fame
- JOE JOHNS - Award-winning NBC News correspondent
- BYRON LEFTWICH - NFL Quarterback
- J. MARK MCVEY - Broadway singer, most famous for his role in "Les Miserables"
- CHAD PENNINGTON - Heisman Trophy finalist, former NFL quarterback and current FOX analyst
- SOUPY SALES - Well-known television personality and comedian
- MARVIN L. STONE - Former editor of U.S. News and World Report
- F. SELBY WELLMAN - Former Senior Vice President with Cisco Systems, Inc., a worldwide leader in networking for the Internet
Men (6) - Baseball, basketball, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Soccer
Women (10) - Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Swimming & Diving, Tennis, Indoor & Outdoor Track & Field, Volleyball