CHARLOTTE, N.C. –
Day two action of the Charlotte Invitational for 49ers women’s tennis concluded Saturday with the final round of doubles and two singles rounds at the Halton-Wagner Tennis Complex. The Niners squared off against Campbell in doubles and then UNC Greensboro in singles play. The final singles round against East Carolina was cancelled due to rain.
For the second-straight day during the season-opening tournament, the scores put up by Charlotte did not meet those expected from the program. Though it is a young team and two freshmen were part of the five players put on the courts by head coach Michaela Gorman
this weekend, the collegiate match experience and chances to face opponents from other schools provided the learning curve Gorman hopes will pay off later this season.
In singles play, it was freshman Briana Bodner
who put together the lone three-set decision against UNCG. She forced her match against the Spartans’ Amy Ellis to go the distance by winning the second set before dropping the tiebreaker to fall 6-2, 4-6, 10-5.
Charlotte returns to the courts Friday when it begins play at the Wake Forest Invitational. The event runs through Sunday in Winston-Salem, N.C. Saturday, September 21
Charlotte vs. Campbell (doubles)
1. Karolina Chernay/Nell Gaigher (CAM) def. Lisa Grosselius
2. Natasha Afridi/Tamara Stanic (CAM) def. Jessica Pérez
3. Ana Maria Ortiz/Claudia Ortiz (CAM) def. Briana Bodner
(CHA)/Caroline Lindsey (CAM) 8-0 Charlotte vs. UNC Greensboro (singles)
1. Natsuko Takayanagi
2. Steph Falcon (UNCG) def. Lisa Grosselius
(CHA) 6-2, 6-4
3. Jamie Grinberg (UNCG) def. Macy Vonderschmidt
(CHA) 6-3, 6-0
4. Yasmin Franco (UNCG) def. Jessica Pérez
(CHA) 6-4, 6-2
5. Amy Ellis (UNCG) def. Briana Bodner
(CHA) 6-2, 4-6, 10-5
6. Masey Demoss (UNCG) def. Caroline Lindsey (CAM) 6-3, 6-4
8. Natsuko Takayanagi
(CHA) vs. Alisha Burton (UNCG) exhibition