The purpose of the Charlotte 49er Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) is to allow the student-athletes to express ideas, concerns and opinions relating to University policies and other issues that directly affect them; to explain and discuss NCAA and Conference USA legislation in order for the student-athletes to have a clear understanding of these procedures and to maintain an environment that promotes a positive experience and a healthy relationship between student-athletes and administrators. Also to foster an environment where teams support teams and promote the Charlotte 49er spirit.
SAAC consists of at least 2 student-athletes from each team.
2014-2015 SAAC Executive Board:
President - Dan Freeman, Men's Track & Field
Vice President - Jamal Covington, Football
Secretary - Tyler Baker, Women's Tennis
Events Chair - Erin Crissman, Women's Track & Field
2013-2014 SAAC Highlights:
- Members of SAAC met with nationally-renowned hazing speaker Travis Apgar on Aug. 23, 2013
- SAAC hosted a Student-Athlete Meet & Greet ice cream social at a home women’s soccer game on Aug. 25, 2013
- SAAC collected funds for Habitat for Humanity at a home football game on Sept. 7, 2013
- SAAC participated in the C-USA Let’s SAAC Hunger program in Fall 2013
- SAAC hosted a week-long drive in which they partnered with the Second Harvest Food Bank of Metrolina to collect canned goods on campus from 11/4/13-11/8/13. Members of SAAC collected canned goods at home men’s basketball and women’s basketball games that week. SAAC also created an online donation profile page that ran from 10/28/13-12/15/13.
- SAAC collected 2, 058 lbs. of food & placed 9th out of 17 schools in C-USA!
- SAAC hosted the 10th Annual Toys for Tots drive in December 2013
- SAAC collected 193 toys and $362 of monetary donations!
- 2 Members of SAAC attended the 2014 APPLE Conference in Newport Beach, CA, from 1/24/14-1/26/14
- Members of SAAC volunteered to give tours of Halton Arena to students from Nathaniel Alexander Elementary School on March 27, 2014
- SAAC hosted a Student-Athlete Cookout to celebrate National Student-Athlete Day at a home baseball game on April 1, 2014
- Members of SAAC worked with the Assistant Director of Marketing to give input and make changes to the All Sports Awards Banquet on May 4, 2014
- Changes included: having 2 SAAC members MC the event & having superlatives
- SAAC Representatives were nominated to attend the 2014 Career in Sports Forum, and 1 student-athlete was selected to attend.
SAAC Twitter: @49erSAAC