Giving back to the Charlotte community is an important part of 49er athletics.
49er student-athletes, coaches and staff donate their time and talents to the greater Charlotte community through various projects, organizations and causes each year. In fact, since 2007 Charlotte student-athletes have donated over 8600 hours.
Here are some highlights from the 2010-2011 academic year:
- 49er student-athletes donated over 2732 total hours to the greater Charlotte community at over 65 different causes, events, schools or organizations.
- Men's Soccer led the way with each team member averaging over 26 hours of service and Volleyball led all women's teams with over 25 hours of service during the year.
- Volleyball's annual Dig Pink effort raised over $10,00 for the Side Out Foundation benefiting breast cancer research. This was a program record and was the 2nd highest total raised by a college team in 2010.
- Men's and Women's Soccer programs volunteered over 782 hours with local children's soccer club FCCA at practices, matches and tournaments.
- Student-athletes from eight teams donated over 170 hours at the annual Fall Stroll for Epilepsy Walk held annually on campus at the Belk Track & Field Center.
- Student-athletes hosted three successful blood drives througout the year collecting 200 units.
- The Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) organized the annual Toys for Tots drive which collected toys at men's and women's basketball games.
- SAAC organized a "Barefoot for Bare Feet" shoe drive for Charlotte-based non-profit Samaritan's Feet which collected 77 pairs of new shoes and almost $3000. The combination of shoes and money will provide 350 new pairs of shoes for children in Charlotte and around the world.
If you have an event or a cause that you would like 49er student-athletes to volunteer at please contact Life Skills Coordinator, Mark Verburg at firstname.lastname@example.org with details of the event. Please note that unfortunately we are not able to satisfy every request due to the time demands on the student-athletes.