Each workday for the next two weeks Charlotte49ers.com will profile a different Conference USA school as a way to introduce our new league opponents starting in 2013-14.
Location: Hattiesburg, Miss.
Nickname: Golden Eagles
Colors: Black and Gold
President: Dr. Rodney Bennett
Athletics Director: Bill McGillis
Athletics Website: www.southernmiss.com
Facebook: Southern Miss Athletics
Conference History: Southern Miss has been a Conference USA member since 1995.
Proper References: Southern Miss, USM
Athletic Highlights: In 2011, the Golden Eagles football team finished #19 in the AP College Poll. Men’s Basketball advanced to the 2012 NCAA Tournament with as an at- large selection. The Baseball and Softball programs both advanced to the College World Series in 2009 and 1999-00, respectively.
Noteworthy Accomplishments: Southern Miss was named a “Green College” by the Princeton Review. Southern Miss has ranked in the Nation’s Top Business Schools by U.S. News and World.
- JIMMY BUFFETT - Singer, songwriter, author
- JIM "PEANUTS" DAVENPORT - Former manager of Major League Baseball's San Francisco Giants
- BRIAN DOZIER - Minnesota Twins Infielder
- BRETT FAVRE - First three-time NFL MVP, led the Green Bay Packers to two consecutive Super Bowls
- GARY GRUBBS - Hollywood actor
- RAY GUY - Former NFL standout punter, was selected as NFL's top punter when the league selected its 75th anniversary team
- EDWIN PITTMAN - Chief Justice of the Mississippi Supreme Court
- CHUCK SCARBOROUGH - Anchor for WNBC News in New York
- BRIGADIER GENERAL ROBERT L. STEWART - Director of Plansfor the United States Space Command and Commander of the U.S. Army element, North American Aerospace Defense NASA in 1978, qualifying as an astronaut the following year
- CLARENCE WEATHERSPOON - Former NBA star
SPONSORED SPORTS (16)
MEN (7) - Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Tennis, Indoor & Outdoor Track & Field
WOMEN (9) - Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Indoor & Outdoor Track & Field, Volleyball